Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup. I love Easter leftovers almost as much as the original meal- especially if we're talking about ham. If you're going to spend the time making a big gorgeous Easter ham, you might as well This recipe for Slow Cooker Ontario Ham & Lentil Soup is comfort food at its best and could not be easier to pull off. Lentil Soup is definitely a classic dish in our home.
But, add in some delicious veggies and leftover ham chunks, and you've got yourself an irresistible soup that every member of your family will love! Whenever we cook up a ham for dinner, we use this amazing Riesling Peach Glazed Ham recipe. I also add rice (any kind, but the short sweet brown rice is great) or barley, which is my favorite for it's thickening powers.
Surprisingly this is a simple recipe just in the manner of the other ones. I think the hardest part is to find the best ingredients consequently you can enjoy the delicious Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup for your dinner with your friends or family. You can cook Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup using 30 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup
- Prepare of Base.
- It’s of Hunk of butter (or oil).
- You need 1 of onion, diced.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 3 of carrots.
- You need 1 tsp of flour.
- You need Splash of wine.
- It’s 1 cup of stock (chicken/pork/veggie all work).
- It’s of Bouquet Garni (herb bundle).
- It’s of Cheesecloth.
- You need of Butcher’s twine.
- Prepare 1 of cinnamon stick.
- You need 2 of bay leaves, broken.
- It’s 2 of allspice.
- You need 2 of star anise.
- It’s 4 of cloves.
- You need 1/2 tsp of black peppercorns.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of fenugreek.
- It’s 1 of dried chili pepper.
- It’s 1 tsp of thyme.
- Prepare of The Soup.
- Prepare 1 cup of dry lentils (green or yellow).
- It’s 1 of Tupperware of leftover roasted ham, diced.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cumin (optional).
- It’s 1/2 tsp of garam masala (optional).
- You need of Salt and pepper.
- It’s of Garnish.
- It’s of Chopped fresh cilantro.
- Prepare of Sour cream.
- Prepare of Croutons.
Risi e Bisi, Italian Rice and Peas. A leftover meaty ham bone or ham hock flavors this tasty lentil soup. It makes an excellent lunch when the soup is with a sandwich or salad (or just For a heartier dinner soup, add some extra diced leftover ham along with the ham bone or ham hock. Cooked sliced smoked sausage or diced cooked.
Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup instructions
- Cook your lentils. Wash dry lentils thoroughly (all sorts of weird stuff turns up in dry lentils, I found a piece of wood in mine). Add to a large pot of boiling water, boil for half an hour and drain, reserving water..
- Make your herb bundle. Double layer a square of cheesecloth. Lay all the things you don’t want to chew in the middle. Bundle it up, tying with butcher’s twine. Do not make my mistake and include veggie stalks – I thought it would be an easy way to impart more flavour, but forgot they would expand and stretch out the cheesecloth..
- Make your base. Melt some butter; sauté onions, carrots, etc. until soft. Add the herb bundle, push it around for a bit, then toss it in the soup pot. Add minced garlic, cooking briefly. Add flour and cook until nutty. Splash in the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan to get the good bits while letting the alcohol evaporate. Slowly incorporate stock..
- Amass the soup! Add your delicious veggie mixture to a crock pot or large soup pot. Add the cooked lentils. Add the reserved lentil water until everything looks a bit too runny. Add cumin and garam masala, if using, and salt and pepper. Cook on low for as long as you’ve got (1-3h) on low heat..
- Get some texture. Dig out the herb bundle and 2 cups of soup. Purée the rest with a hand blender. Return veggies. Fry ham (with basting sauce, if you still have it) and add..
- Garnish and serve!.
Like this Ham & Green Lentil Soup recipe? You'll find many more delicious soup ideas in our Soups Category and lots more leftover ideas in our Leftover Recipes Category. To keep up with the latest home style cooking & baking ideas from Rock Recipes plus daily recipe suggestions from decadent. One of my family's go-to recipes for using leftover Christmas ham. This easy slow cooker soup recipe is an ideal way to use up leftover ham from a big holiday meal.
Just to let you know the recipe already tested by team, you conveniently follow every the cooking steps and prepare the ingredients to get the delicious Leftover Ham and Lentil Soup. If you have questions or requests almost this article, engross edit us as soon as possible. And don’t forget to bookmark this page therefore you will easily find it over later. The content source: https://cookpad.com